“The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, but true beauty in a Woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she knows.”
“No matter how plain a woman may be, if truth and honesty are written across her face, she will be beautiful.”
“but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.”
-1 Peter 3:4
Lent. Forty days of remembrance. The remembrance of the forty days that Jesus spent fasting in the wilderness before the start of His ministry. It is a time to give something up, or add something new, in order to draw near to the Holy One and regain balance in our lives.
In the past I have given up Facebook, tv, or chocolate.
This year I gave up makeup.
The simple answer, I want to step out of my comfort zone, embrace the face that God gave me, and spend time focusing on inner beauty instead.
The hard parts so far:
- Not feeling “ready” for the day. Makeup has a way of making me feel like I have made an effort to look nice and be productive. Not wearing makeup makes me feel like I have been in my pajamas all day and done nothing.
- Worrying that people are going to ask me if I am tired or sick. The curse of fair skin and light eyes!
- I don’t feel like I look like myself – how crazy is that?
The nice parts so far:
- Rubbing my eyes without fear of smudging makeup. Heaven.
- Extra time in the morning.
- My skin feels healthier.
- I don’t have to take eye make up off at the end of the day. I don’t know why I hate doing this so much, but there you have it.
I struggle with how superficial this all sounds, but the last seven days of no makeup have been good for me. When I see my unadorned face I can remember Lent. I can remember the sacrifice made on my behalf.
What about you? Do you observe Lent? Are you giving up (or adding) anything?
…and because I can’t post without sharing a picture of this girl, here you go:
fyi: the date on the picture is way off. not sure how that happened.